From the 10th to the 24th October Mr Steve Widders, Dr Mick Adams and others will travel from Brisbane to Sydney in order to raise awareness of the importance of a healthy family. The project named ‘Walk and Ride Widders’ will be a walking and cycling challenge from Brisbane to Sydney.
Major townships and cities along the route will benefit from free health checks and motivational workshops courtesy of our travelling health check bus.
Mr Tim Mathieson, in his capacity as a Men’s Health Ambassador and Patron of the Australian Men’s Shed Association will officially announce the Walk and Ride Widders event in Armidale on the 14th June during Men’s Health Week (11th - 17th June).
Strongly supported by Men’s Shed, Walk and Ride Widders is an invitation for all Australian men and their families to realise their personal obligations and responsibility to each other and more importantly to take a definite decision to make a difference and improve their physical, mental, spiritual and environmental health.
Starting in Brisbane and finishing in Sydney, Steve and Mick will be joined by celebrities along the way who will assist in spreading the message of the importance of family health.
- To raise awareness of the importance of family heath and healthy communities.
- To raise funds for community health projects and initiatives.
- To motivate men to be more responsible in relation to their own health and as a result the well being of their families.
- To highlight the importance of our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander brothers to be more aware of their personal health and importantly their responsibility and obligations to their families and communities; to emphasise their value as men in their family and community.
- To raise awareness of men’s health by engaging with partners such as the Aboriginal community controlled health services, Medicare Local (formally Division of General Practices), Men’s Group and other appropriate organisations to conduct motivational workshops and health checks (available to all) in the township along the route.